Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Question One

As Goffman states many times, almost everything in life is a performance. I agree with his idea that, for the most part, whenever people are around other people they are not completely themselves. I also agree with him that even in a situation as solemn as a funeral a performance is taking place to some extent. In theory, I don't believe that what Goffman is saying is disrespectful, because during funerals, a fair amount of performing is going on. People are expected to dress and act a certain way, and many traditions occur that could be seen as performances. In some cases, I am sure that people fake or exaggerate their emotions in order to act like they are supposed to, but it would be very inappropriate and disrespectful for Goffman to go to a funeral and tell everyone that they are simply putting on a performance. This would definitely detract from the solemnity of the event, but I do not think that stating it in a non-funeral situation is all that offensive. I think in many cases, Goffman associates things that are normal human emotions and reactions with performances because they are so common.

From my personal experience, I find the idea of a funeral a little strange. I had my first real experience with death earlier this year when I had a grandma and grandpa pass away within a week of each other. In many ways, all of the actions that took place and all of the things I needed to do did almost feel like a performance, especially because I was going through two funerals at relatively the same time. The idea of repeating the same emotions, dress and procedure for every person who dies might seem like a performance, but I think that when the funeral is actually occurring, the majority of people are only expressing their feeling in the way that society has given them.

No comments:

Post a Comment