Monday, August 31, 2009

Reflection

A person’s identity is composed of many things. It is their background, their interest, their dreams, and their goals. It is shaped by how they are raised, the environments they live in, but also by the choices they make in life. Yes, the basic components of identity can be defined, however in the end our identity is what we choose to make it. Personally I don’t think that anyone’s identity is truly formed until the day they die, because until then they are having new experiences and changing their lives every day. I guess the question is what really makes a person’s identity? I’m currently undecided as to what major I may like to pursue in college; I feel as if I’m behind many others in the college process, but this does not affect my identity. I still know who I am – I’m just taking a little longer to decide on a career. I kind of like being undecided because in a way I’m an individual while others are labeled by their school and their major. People majoring in pre- law are labeled as being lawyers – serious critical thinkers who are going to defend the constitution in court. That identity is both chosen and forced upon them.
Goffman also points out that an identity can be a performance. When we toured the Nationals Baseball Park on Wednesday it was very clear that they were giving us a performance. They presented their “history” by talking about everyone but themselves. They are a “young” team so their identity is still not fully developed but they gave us a performance about those who came before them claiming this was who they were. Just maybe it was who they are hoping to be! I felt as if they were trying to adopt their past achievements in order to add inspiration to those who came to the field conveying the message of “one day realities”. The thing to think about though is how are they going to achieve that identity or are they going to spend their years putting on a performance?

No comments:

Post a Comment