Wednesday, December 2, 2009

12.2.09 Which community would I join?

This is an incredibly difficult question to answer, but a fun and interesting one nonetheless (for real). What's difficult is that there are so many communities I would join! However, for the sake of this blog question I will choose only one of the incredible amount of communities that appeal to me: Middle-earth, in particular, the Shire.

To those of you that are sadly oblivious to exactly what Middle-earth is, the wondrous land is none other then the setting of Lord of the Rings. The Shire is where those famous hobbits, Frodo, Samwise, Merry, and Pippin reside, or at least did. But why would I like to join their company? Well there's plenty. For one, hobbits know how to have a good time. They have epic feasts with plenty of dancing and tomfoolery. Always a raucous occasion. Gandalf would also be in our company, blowing amazing dragon smoke figures.

I also love the setting itself. The area is similar to England/Scotland. With rolling hills of green velvety grass, the landscape is serene peaceful. Architecture, too, is a great plus. The circular doors of the hobbits' houses are unique and homely, as well as their cozy interiors. It simply is a majestic land.

On a different note, I think it would also be incredible to be a giant compare to the itsy hobbits. All in all, the Shire is a wonderful community that would be welcoming to an outsider giant liek myself. Though I could never realistically join it (well maybe under the influence of hallucinogens), it is always fun to dream.

5 comments:

  1. I liked your opening paragraph, where you said that you really liked this question and were going to enjoy it.

    I was excited to talk about this one when PTJ first mentioned it and felt like no one else was all that interested.

    Either way, you community is very intersting. I saw the first Lord of the Rings and just lost interest. But I do remember that scene where there were a ton of different lookig things in the middle of a dark forest. I know this is vague and completly unspecific, but its about all I remember. But I do remember it being a pretty sweet place with lots of different types of (happy) things milling about seeming to enjoy life.

    I wish you the best of luck with this community.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The shire would be an amazing place to live. I totally agree. Work hard, play hard, live in harmony, have a crazy party every couple weeks, and have no worries. I don't think I would become bored, either, because there's always a chance to wander off with a bunch of dwarves and a wizard. But seriously, that would be a great place to live and raise a family and whatnot.

    AUTHOR'S NOTE: I AM AWARE THAT GANDALF NEVER BLOWS A DRAGON SMOKE FIGURE IN THE MOVIES.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how you picked a fictional community. Thinking about it the Shire would be a great community to be a part of. It would also be pretty fun to tromp around like a giant occasionally.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That would be a wonderful community to join. If I was one of the shirt-folk, I would probably work at the pub with Rosie, Samwise's future wife, and hang out with Merry and Pippin. It seems like a simple place, where one grows crops by day and relaxes with a mug of ale by night. Of course such a place never has, and never will, exist outside of literary imagination, but who cares? It IS fun to dream!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was one of my favorite posts so far. I never even thought to come up with an imaginary community- even though the Shire is absolutely an ideal place to live. The Shire, when I think about it, literally seems like a paradise. There is no violence because of the strong solidarity among Hobbits, there is constant celebration and enjoyment of life's many pleasures, but there is still hard work to be done in daily life. In addition to the fantastical aspect of the community, these factors really do make it seems like the perfect community.

    ReplyDelete