Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Community Choice

Interestingly enough, the question of which community I would like to join has been one that has bothered me throughout my life. I've always been on the hunt for my place in the world, whether it be with religion, politics, subculture, or other areas of society.
One community that I have not changed my desire to join, however, is the music scene. I don't want to be in a band, or a producer, or a record executive, but something more humble. I would prefer to be part of a band's road crew, or work at a venue. I would have access to both the musicians and the fans, which would allow a personal relationship with the two greatest parts of the music scene: the talents and personalities of the artists, and the enthusiasm and creativity of their fans. For one who considers music to be a sort of personal religion, a therapy that has never failed me, membership in such a community would be extremely fulfilling.
Ultimately, before I can join any new community, I still need to find out exactly where I stand in the communities I am already a part of. Although I am certain of the overall substance of my identity, I still need to clarify its form. I know my family, my religion, my opinions, my dreams, etc., but I have yet to define them with certainty. Before I can be a roadie, a venue worker, or a member of any new community, I must figure this out.

3 comments:

  1. That's so awesome that you want to be in the band crew! It seems like such a fun lifestyle. You say that before you plunge into any "roadie adventures" you wish to clarify your identity. But how about this for a thought, why don't you just dive into what it is you want to do? Do it because you want to, don't leave it off because you wish to figure yourself out first. Maybe you'll realize that because you took the risk, you defined and found yourself along the way. Sitting down and pondering where it is that you belong may not get you far, but taking action and doing what you think you'll enjoy may end up being the adventure that clarifies who it is you are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My dad actually worked as a technician for many bands after high school. He worked with acts such as the Beach Boys, Elton John, Yes, the Allman Brothers Band, Chicago and many others. He said it was the best option for him in the confusing years after college since he made almost pure profit: since he was traveling often, he did not spend money on typical living expenses and could save up for the future. His experience definitely shaped the remainder of his life. He was able to identify a passion in technology and electronics which has guided his career since. I hope you, too, are able to have an experience to guide your future and clarify confusing elements like your religious beliefs and dreams. Good luck and go for it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too wish I could enter the music community, and also in a humble sense. All I want is to be able to read music and sing it well enough. Hopefully by the time I'm done with AU, I'll be proficient enough, because I plan on taking several courses in music during my time here. If I were you, I would take a class on the subject to see if you truly desire this (Audio Tech 101, or something), and hopefully, it will be the first step in your path.

    ReplyDelete