Friday, December 4, 2009

And So Here's The End of the Semester

I can't believe how quickly the semester has gone by... before I know it, I'll be done with college! Okay, I'm not going to get ahead of myself. But looking back at this semester, I really feel as though no time has past between now and August 15th.

It's kind of like when you have a monumental birthday, when you turn 18 or something and you expect to feel extremely grown up and different, but you don't. That's kind of how I feel about this semester: I though I'd become completely different - more mature or something - but that hasn't happened. The only thing that has changed is that I feel closer to being older, closer to being my own adult and closer to what I could conceivably do with the rest of my life. Having said that, I bet my ideas will change at the end of next semester - that's just how I roll.

The best thing is that I went through this semester without having a stress attack which I am very happy for. That feels like a big thing, but I just realized I have a whole other semester to get through and then 3 more years. I won't get ahead of myself in that department.
What has been great about Explorations is that I have found it so applicable to all my other classes. I love it when you have moments where everything overlaps and just falls into place. I am glad I powered through Goffman and he seems to come up every other day in my life. Just yesterday (or possibly today) I was talking to Jena about changing identities. As an International Relations major, I love the idea of different identities and find it fascinating to see all these different walks of life. Starship Troopers, for me, was a great book for me to read at a time in my life where I seem to finally be able to "catagorize" myself in regards to how I see the world. I've always known I'm cynical, but I guess I never fully realized just how cynical my outlook on the human race is!

Especially with St Augustine and Antigone, Explorations sort of introduced a new style of thought to me. It's so much the contextual analysis of the work, but more has to do with the implications of what works say and how it can be applied to everything else around it. For example, when Antigone's want to bury her brother raised so many questions about what a burial actually means, and who it is for. Having read Antigone before, that is never something that we would have thought to discuss, glossing over it as an act of sisterly affection in order to ensure that her brother has the welcoming to the afterlife.

It has been a good semester - so far I have enjoyed all the newness of college and everything and am looking foreword to the next semester.

No comments:

Post a Comment