Tuesday, December 1, 2009

my community!

I've been thinking along time about this question...I've had this page up for over an hour and have walked away from it trying to wrap my head around it. I think the reason I'm having such a hard time with it is because when you ask "What community do you want to be in," what I interpret is "What do I want to do and be great at?".

My first thought was that I wanted to be ballet dancer at the Opera Garnier in Paris. I love ballet but was stupid and stopped dancing seriously when I was pretty young so now I am left with the reciprocal of what I had 10 years ago: the passion but no skill. And in order to dance at the level of the dancers at the Opera de Paris, you need to have been dancing 24/7 from age 2.... bit late now.

So I'm a bit lacking in terms of having the ability to enter this prestigious community but that is the reason I want to be part of this community. Ballet in its modern form has been around since before the French Revolution and is just such a graceful dance form, even if it does kill your body. If the actual Ballet hasn’t entranced you, look at the Opera Garnier. It is the most beautiful hall with so much history. It’s where The Phantom of the Opera supposedly resided! How can you not fall in love with the history and grandeur of the place, even more so the city? It is beautiful: the City of Lights. And this is where I stopped: I’m supposed to be writing about the community I want to join. It morphs from Ballet all the way to Paris...

The other reason I found it so hard to pick a community is because it’s my nature to want to try everything. I don’t like to be tied down into any one thing. I like to know that I can still experience a wide range of things without having to necessarily fully commit myself. I’m a bit of a nomad…you can’t really help but feel like that after a trans-Atlantic move. I want to go everywhere and not just stay in one community no matter how happy I feel there.

But yes, that would be a great community for me. There is even a chance that I could embrace my more nomadic side and get to travel the world as a “famous ballet dancer”! What a dream! Of course it’s a bit of a short lived community life; but two of the presentations we had today featured communities in which death was an imminent - for lack of a better term - thing. Jonestown and the Retirement community both sort of have death looming over them. Nothing lasts forever: no community last forever. But this is what I have chosen for the short time I could spend in it...in a parallel universe where my dancing is magnifique!

1 comment:

  1. It is SO tough trying to pick a community to fit into. I've been having the same trouble in trying to decide on one. It's not as if it's a life or death decision, or even one that truly means anything, but it's still a tough one, even for the sake of a blog question. I think that's because it really makes you think. For you, it brings back past and current loves and entwines them with the future. Same with me and it's a bit sad. For me, baseball was a huge part of my life for as long as I can remember. I played travel year round and school ball, it was a giant time commitment. I was very good at it, but the passion wasn't there. Now that I don't play at all, I really miss it: the pressure, the satisfaction, the team mates. It's funny how things work out that way. I suppose I'll just keep searching.

    ReplyDelete