Sunday, November 29, 2009

What I am Thankful For

Thanksgiving may have been and gone but I still have things for which I am thankful:

I just registered!! It feels good - though I just have to meet with my advisor to confirm everything... I am thankful for getting into the classes I wanted.

I am thankful that we are so close to the end of the semester! It has been crazy and amazing and we're 1/8th of the way through our college careers!

I am thankful that I was able to spend a lovely long weekend with my family (even though I sprained my ankle and bruised my knee, and not just like badly...they REALLY hurt! and look gross)

I went upstate NY to a State Park and realized at the last minute that this particular park was open for the hunting season! Bye bye State Park! I am thankful we realized that in time.

I am thankful that I will going home in 3 weeks to England, spending Christmas there for the first time in 5 years!

I hope everyone else had a wonderful break and are energized for the final push! I can't believe we are so close to the finish line!

One last thing I am thankful for is that we do not live in a world like that of Starship Troopers. Though a great books, there are other ways that citizens can gain more weight and perspective in regards to their vote. Actually to be honest, the whole becoming a citizen thing does resonate in me because I can't vote in the US and when I can in 5ish years time when I get citizenship, I will take my vote so seriously because it wasn't just expected of me, it was granted to me after what will have been 10 years in the US. Similarly, I was very aware of the power I held when I got to vote in the European Palimentary elections. I had to vote basically absentee so I felt that my vote kept me an active citizen of the UK.

I am thankful to be an adult and have a say in important issues…sometimes…

No comments:

Post a Comment