Sunday, September 13, 2009

9.13.09

If going to the National Portrait Gallery taught me anything, it's that I need to go back. I was definitely impressed with what I saw and surprised as well. Having only been to a few art museums (though technically it's a history museum), I realized how much I've been missing. I have been to most of Washington DC's museums at some point in my life, however, upon visiting the NPG it was my first museum visit since before arriving at American.

I loved the variety of portraits shown. From presidents to authors to musicians to athletes to the common man, every variety was shown. Not only that, the mediums used varied as well. There were many oil paintings of course, but also photographs, water colors, and sculptures. Each work has it's own character (literally and figuratively), and the medium used reflects that.

I had trouble deciding a favorite, I need more time to explore all the museum has to offer, though I was particularly impressed by the oil painting of abolitionist John Brown. The portrait depicts an aged Brown as the madman he was claimed to be, complete with a massive beard and spiky hair I'm almost convinced he was electrocuted before the artist began. Despite the dark surroundings and attire, Brown's eyes express an incredible fire and ferocity hard to be compared with and. Although he is late in life in the painting, his eyes still live.

I was definitely impressed by all the works our very informative guide showed us. Each piece had its own flavor which was brought to life by her valuable commentary. When I do go back, I plan on spending a lot of time in the modern art gallery which I only briefly walked through, as well as the athletes exhibit. I'm also sure there's many other things I missed as well and look forward to going back, hopefully in the near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment