Wednesday, September 2, 2009

My Little Piece of Home

While packing for college, most of my time was spent trying to get together all of the necessities. Most of my focus was on trying to remember what clothes to bring and what school supplies I needed to take. Because of my laziness and denial that I would really be leaving for college, I didn't make many attempts to get together sentimental things. The only thing I brought from home that reminds me of home is my stuffed cat, Tom. It would probably embarrass some 18 year olds to admit that they still sleep with a stuffed animal, and I was vaguely worried that my roommates might think I was a freak because of my cat, but that worry did not last for long. I usually have him sitting on my bed, or sometime on my desk. Tom makes me feel comfortable, especially when I am trying to sleep. I think Tom performs the identity of my home. He reminds me of the countless times I watched the Aristocats as a child with my brothers. In the terms of Goffman, I believe he shows a little part of my backstage to everyone who enters my room.
When talking to others about what Tom might represent, most of their ideas agreed with mine. They also felt that Tom represented home and a stable environment in a new place. It was also suggested that my stuffed cat might represent a longing to be near my own pet, which I did not originally think of, but is probably true. They also believed that the stuffed animal could show that I am slightly childish. Of course, I would not want people to look at my cat and think I still have the mentality of a small child, so this could be a possible discrepancy. Tom is supposed to show insight into my childhood, but not show that I am still a child. For the most part, I believe that Tom fulfills his purpose of being a reminder of my home and childhood and if other people think differently I don't really care.

No comments:

Post a Comment