Sunday, September 27, 2009

Reflection 9/27

This weekend I had the opportunity to watch two very different movies and for some reason the disparity between the two movies made me think of the different fronts movies put on. One of the movies I watched was a terrific horror movie called Descent. When I say it was terrific I mean it was terrible. The basic plot was that six woman trying to find some excitement in their lives decide to travel into a cave which is, of course, inhabited by either bats that evolved into semi-humans or humans who evolved semi-bats. Of course, these bat things jump out of dark places and then attack and mutilate the women who quickly turn on each other. The other movie I watched was a bollywood movie called Dil Se. This gem told the story of a man who looked at a woman once and fell madly in love with her. Despite only having seen her once and never actually having a conversation with her, the man decides to hunt the woman down relentlessly and tell her of his endless and undying love for her, even after it is revealed that the woman is affiliated with a terrorist organization.
Although I really did enjoy watching both of these movies, afterwards I could not help but think about how stupid they were. People want certain things from their movies, and at certain points in the movie, I felt that the movies would be so much better if the directors did not give the people what they wanted. There are certain formulas that most movies tend to follow. For instance, in Dil Se, at the end the man and woman both reveal their true love to each other. I think the movie would have been much better if the man instead realized that he was in love with his faithfully waiting fiance, instead of the woman who is attempting to blow up half the participants in a parade. I don't know if this is relevant at all, but I really think that in some situations, movies would be much better if they were not constantly following the same stupid formulas and were actually surprising.

No comments:

Post a Comment