Tuesday, September 8, 2009

I have hope because I'm Eating Cereal

I'm gonna jump right into this one: Augustine is basically saying "You know, what? Everyone f**ks up, but CALL RIGHT NOW AND YOU WILL BE CLEANSED AND FORGIVEN!!! THAT NUMBER AGAIN IS 1-800-555-5555!!!
I personally think his whole spiel about his life and look how much I've sinned, is his way of showing all those people out there who are anxious as to whether they left it too late to become a Christian, that it isn't too late - that he, like them, was once upon a time not a dedicated Christian, but his journey led him to God and in the end, that's all that matters.
I think it's a clever move on Augustine's part because it makes this Saint look much more human and can relate more to ordinary people. If he was some high and mighty power preaching down on people claiming to never have done any wrong - people would be less perceptive of him.

Basically the punchline is this : Now you've seen all the crap I've done...let's see how I used that to transform myself into this awesome, pure being.
What else can I say? It's a good tactic... I don't know exactly who's idea it was but it seems to me as though Confessions might just be the first airing of dirty laundry in the media!
I quite like the book - especially if you take it at face value and just see this man who has done bad things in his life and wants to be atoned...it's natural really.

No comments:

Post a Comment