Sunday, September 6, 2009

Dr. Walker's talk on friday was very inspiring considering I'm undecided and have no idea what the future holds for me. She challenged us to write our obituary in order to look at how we would like to live our life. Through her talk I realized that its okay not to know. At college I feel as if everyone knows where they are going in life or at least they have a general idea. She reinvented herself at an age when many people would consider starting the process of retirement. She showed that anything we want to achieve we can. She changed her identity and performance and if I could do that later in life I would look at my life as accomplished. She continued to work towards her goals even with two kids, which is something I probably wouldn't have the strength to do. After friday I feel better about not knowing. Will I actually follow her advice and write my obituary? Probably not today or in the new future. As long as I live the way I want to I don't really care what happens. If I affect one persons life, then I consider myself lucky and I can end my life "accomplished". Its funny I always had this 5 year plan, I knew the general idea of where I wanted to be and while I still want to live by that plan, I won't go crazy if it doesn't happen like that. Even though Dr. Walker said she always had a plan, I liked better how she said in the end that now she was just going to live. I think that maybe planning affects your living. So for now I'm just going to see where these college days take me and I believe that I will end up where I want to and I will be happy with what happens.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad somebody else brought this up because I am to American thinking I was one of many who didn't know what they were doing. However, during orientation, I was taken by surprise when most people knew exactly what they were going to do with their lives, what courses to take, and where they would end up. I got a little freaked out. However, joining explorations has made me see that not everyone knows exactly what they want. You may know your major, minor, or whatever, but what you're going to do with that is up in the air for most people. Danna Walker's presentation made me feel more at ease and I experienced the same feeling of relief as you did. Now I know at least you and a few others are feeling the same way I do. Unsure, but ready to tackle the next 4 years of college.

    ReplyDelete