Sunday, September 20, 2009

College College College

When Ms Humphrys came into talk to us on Friday I was not exactly blown away by what she had to say. To begin with, one of the very first slides she showed us was entitled "Me". For the duration of that slide, all that she could say were bits of advice for us as young college students; "Work hard, but not too hard"... apart from the fact that she went to college, I really can't say I learned anything about her. Okay, everyone has advice they want to give us especially at this time in our lives, but I was hoping she would talk more about herself than advice and statistics. I thought some of what she said was extremely obvious, and her saying it is not going to change the way any of us look at the opportunities we have right now and what we should do with them. I felt very lectured by her, like I wasn't doing enough to ensure my success in the future.

If I wanted to dig a little deeper, it was almost as though Debra Humphrys' talk paralleled Augustine's Confessions in that they were both talking about past regrets, although Humphrys went one step further trying to stop others from making the same mistakes she did, whereas Augustine basically just says "Everyone's human, c'est la vie". I understand she was just trying to point us in the right direction for the future, but at the same time, I would quite like to make my own way through life and make my own decisions and mistakes. I won't be swayed by statistics and Ms Humphrys' own life lessons!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment