Sunday, November 22, 2009

11.22.09 Reflection

This past week has proved to be one of the most academically challenging ones for me so far at American. I assume professors are trying to get in as much possible before Thanksgiving and they're doing quite a fine job. However, the week has passed and now I am able to examine it.

I particularly enjoyed our Wednesday visit to the National Museum of the American Indian. It was definitely one of my favorite Wednesday labs. Native American history is a topic that really has remained absent in most of my schooling. Except in third grade and in passing during American History, we never learned much. As a result the museum was definitely an eye opener. One of the first things that shocked me about the place was its peculiar but inviting design. It reminded me of a modern pueblo. The crops grown outside the buildings as well as the tipis quickly inform casual the passerby what kind of building they approach. Another surprising tidbit I quickly learned was that despite it's opening in 2004, it is the first museum entirely dedicated to the American Indian.

The interior of the museum was something. After passing through the metal detectors, visitors feels tiny in the great chamber they find themselves in. Circular design definitely plays a great role outside and in. Circularity, I determined after exploring the museum, played a great role in Native American architecture and design. Also, angular shapes were somewhat scarce comparatively.

The content of the museum was informative, but because of the museum's modernity it was successfully able to hold the visitor's attention. Thousands of artifacts are on display in the museum, including arrowheads, jewelry and dolls. Each small exhibit contains descriptions of what is display with information like history and location. I found these greatly enjoyable. However, maybe my favorite part of our trip was in watching about twenty minutes of a film played in the museum's theater. Since we had some time to kill before lunch, a few of us meandered into the theater that was already playing a movie. It was a film of identity: the conflict between a modern American Indian's duty to his people and past and clash which arises in the present. Symbolism was evident in what we witnessed through a recurring crow and the vast expanses of desert. Even though we only caught a glimpse of the movie, it was enough to stir emotions, respect and pity were the greatest I felt. These were also the emotions I felt from the museum as a whole. The history of the American Indian is incredibly tragic, it is impossible not to pity, and it is impossible not to respect a people whose will to survive still lasts today.

No comments:

Post a Comment