Sunday, November 29, 2009

11.29.09 Reflection

This past week was one dominated, quite understandably, by the prospect of Thanksgiving and the accompanying break. For me, things got off with . I was one of a select few Leonardians on the second floor who stayed over Tuesday night. It was definitely a little eerie having such a quiet floor. Nevertheless, I survived until morning when I had to rise early in order to arrive promptly in Chinatown to take a bus back to Philadelphia. I learned then that traveling the day before Thanksgiving is always a good idea. The bus ride to Philly took 5 hours due to incredible traffic, twice the normal length! The bus dropped me off at Market East train station where I usually take the regional line back to my town. Wednesday, however, my dad was in the city for business and decided to pick me up. The ride home by car is usually twenty minutes, Wednesday's was an hour.

Nevertheless, the wait only added to the eventual satisfaction that only coming home can bring. My dad and I picked up cheese steaks and we, joined by my mom, had a nice meal together heavy with conversation. Though I had been home already this year, coming back for a holiday and for an extended period time produces a much greater dynamic. I enjoyed the bustle that only a holiday can bring: the cooking, shopping, eating, and visiting of friends and family. After dinner, I was picked up by a few of my best friends. I left through the garage and the headlights which blinded me only made me recall old memories together. We united once more and attended a hockey game between our high school and its rival. The game is a tradition. College kids always come back for it, joined by the current high schoolers. It was a sweet reunion filled with hugs and stories, an appropriate welcome back after so much time spent apart. The rest of the weekend was spent with my closest friends and my family.

At home, I realized that I definitely do, after three months, have a part of myself at AU. At home, I really did miss seeing the faces I've come to know well and sleeping in the bed I've become so used to. Thanksgiving break was wonderful, but it was almost a tease. I felt like I'd never been gone but, like that, I was.

1 comment:

  1. It sounds like you had a great break! I feel the same way towards AU. I've come to view all of my friends here at AU as a sort of second family. When I was at home, I felt a bit disoriented, like I was leaving my home again. I even tried to open my car with my room key! Great reflection!

    ReplyDelete