Sunday, November 15, 2009

Reflections: 15th November 2009

I LOVE living in DC!!! At Arlington Cemetery, I saw the presidential motorcade not once but TWICE! how cool and amazing! Arlington Cemetery is a place I have been to many times before, and it felt especially fitting that it was rainy and wet when we visited there on Veteran's Day. We are celebrating fallen soldiers from so many different wars. I happened to walk by a Vietnam section and that was bizarre because their dates made the majority of them only a little bit older than me. And there are SO many graves there! More than that, I think there were at least three people in our class who knew or had a relation buried there. That's quite astonishing really and goes to show the grandeur of the entire thing and just how many people war affects.
In today's society - as we were talking about in class - we honor those who have fallen. It's not necessarily for any religious reasons, it's more so that the lives lived by the deceased person was not in vein. They are celebrated and "go out with a final bang" ..if you're lucky enough, that can literally be the case with military salutes.

Switching gears, I went home this weekend at it was so strange to come back ..both going to NYC and coming back to DC... they are both my alternate realities, both are so normal and have their routines. When I go to NYC, DC doesn't exist and vis versa. it's very strange. I wonder if everyone feels that way when they go home, or for some people do the two converge...neither is probably better than the other and in fact I like my two separate lives: one where I am independent (ish) and the other where i can get looked after and sort of be a kid, but still with all the plus sides of being 18! I don't know, it was very wierd to get on the train Friday and again today, and basically coming full circle twice. I came and went home twice. DC is my home. NJ is my home. Home is where the heart is?

1 comment:

  1. I feel similarly when I go home. My two "homes" have converged in curious ways. When I'm in one place, I feel homesick for the other. I guess this is how it's probably going to be for the rest of our lives, though. We'll be going somewhere else for graduate school, and for some, another place for our doctorate. Then finally, we'll move someplace else for our jobs, and possibly move more than once after that for new jobs.
    In the end, it's actually kind-of cool to have more than one "home". You have two families and two sets of traditions. The problem is trying to find a balance between them both.

    ReplyDelete