Sunday, November 29, 2009

"What is this, Middle School?"

Over the past few months, like the rest of us freshman, I've been settling into my study and work routine. I plop down in front of my computer, check my email and facebook, put on some music, and get to work. The routine has served me well, with satisfactory results.
One point of note in my routine is the type of music that I play to help me along in my studies. For some reason, a lot of the old, angry punk rock that I listened to in high school and middle school. Back then, I listened to that music from a sense of alienation and a lack of self-respect. Now, for some reason, I drown out the angry ( and often horribly sung and horribly written lyrics) and focus on the punishing guitars and fast drums like an army listens for the drums to set their pace.
If I look at my routine this way, it would seem that I look at schoolwork as a sort of a battle. With every assignment, I fight to earn my degree and keep my scholarship.
It would seem that my attitude towards my work is manifesting itself in my manner of completing it. While the facebook and email checking are daily events, my choice of music serves as a means of keeping up my morale.

No comments:

Post a Comment