Saturday, November 7, 2009

Reflection

Wow! I can't believe we have all been in college for almost three months! It is crazy. I feel like I just got here. It is crazy to think about all of the stuff I have learned without even thinking about it. Now, down to the business of this reflection. For some reason, this week, the lab stuck in my mind. I did find the performances very interesting, but they were not necessarily what stuck with me. Instead for some reason I have been thinking about acting. I have never been comfortable with acting. I tense up and feel incredibly nervous. I don't know why this happens to me when I try to act, but it always does. Looking around the room, it was clear that some people felt the same way as me. I could see the look of fear and disgust in their eyes that was probably present in my eyes as well. But, surprisingly enough, as a I looked around I also saw another look. A look of happiness and enjoyment. This got me to thinking, what is it that makes some people comfortable with acting and others hate it?
This may be a stretch but maybe all of this has something to do with identity. We all act most of the time. This type of everyday acting comes as easily to me as it does to everybody else, but why is it that when I am told to act so everybody can observe, I just cannot do it? I think this may be a result of me not wanting my everyday acting to be caught. Maybe people who are natural actors and have no qualms about going on stage are the types of people who are readily able to admit that acting occurs all the time and we should embrace it, not hide it. I do not know if this will make any sense to anybody else, but maybe someone else out there can figure out what I am trying to say.

2 comments:

  1. I think I see your point. Are you linking this to Goffman in a way? ... The fact that we all put on a front in everyday life. Do you personally think we should embrace it or hide it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess I was linking this all back to Goffman. I think what I was trying to say is that everybody is always performing, like Goffman wrote, but people who have to ability to act well on stage are the people who are more conscious of their own everyday performances and are therefore more able to admit that almost everything they do is a performance. I honestly think the world would be a better place if everybody just stopped performing and just acted like themselves. Because this is clearly impossible, I guess the next best thing would be to have everybody admit that they are performing.

    ReplyDelete