Wednesday, November 25, 2009

The Necessity of Military

Ideally a community would never need a military. Everyone would live in peace at all times and war would be eliminated. This, of course, would be the way it was in a perfect world. If the world was perfect, every country would have no military. Unfortunately, it is not a perfect world and in order for a country to survive, it must have a military. As soon as one country has the ability to take over another through violence, every other country must make sure it has the ability to defend itself. Right now, a community can have everything. It can be full of individuals who support and love their country. It can have wealth and access to everything it needs it support its people, but that does not protect it from the actions of other countries.
Because of this, it is obvious that a military is a very important part of any country, but it is also seems as though Heinlein thinks that the military should be used. He holds the military in very high regard and although I believe that military is important it should not be the most important part of the country. It should be made to be good enough so the country can defend itself against potential threats but there should be more important aspects of the country. I think it is more important that the people of the country have good lives. If this means the military must be the most important part and most developed part of the country then it must be that way.

2 comments:

  1. "He holds the military in very high regard and although I believe that military is important it should not be the most important part of the country. It should be made to be good enough so the country can defend itself against potential threats but there should be more important aspects of the country."

    What if the threats are coming from within the country?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the military that Belle is refering to is is the one that is protecting its people from interstellar bugs that are somewhere out in the universe.

    With that being said I would hope that my military would do everything in its power to be able to protect me and would be the most important way to ensure that my civilization lead good lives.

    If we are not talking about the military protecting me from bugs, I still think this is the best way to keep me safe from problems in my country. If the problem is anything that has to do with unhappy citizens trying to blow me or my goverment up, then a very militristic society is more then likely the best way to go to keep the community safe.

    ReplyDelete