Saturday, October 24, 2009

Choices or Fate?

Now that we have had quite a few successful people come to talk to us about there lives and how they managed to become successful, I am starting to think that it might be more helpful to bring in people who are incredibly unsuccessful and try to figure out what they did wrong. It is not that I do not enjoy hearing what the people who come to talk to us have to say, but for the most part, they all seem to say that there success is due to some sort of randomness. Hearing President Kerwin speak was very interesting, but like most of our guests he did not help me to learn anything about myself. He discovered that he loved teaching and figured out that it was how he wanted to spend his life and somehow that worked out. Then he worked his way to the top and now he is the president of American University. That really gives me nothing for myself, except giving me the idea that no matter how hard I work and no matter what I do, my success or failure will be based on randomness.
This is why I thought it might be interesting to talk to someone who is completely unsuccessful. Maybe they would have some insight into why they failed, but more then likely, they would say things just did not work out. The stars were not aligned properly. This all leads me to believe that I should just work hard, find things I love and find a way to not care about being successful because clearly if it is not meant to be it is not meant to be. All any of us can do is try our hardest and maybe pay a few people off get fate on our side.

1 comment:

  1. You raise an interesting point. I also think that talking to somebody who did not succeed would make for a good conversation. However, I think it also depends on someone's definition of success. Someone's definition of failure could be somebody else's definition of success. For example, maybe Dr. Kerwin was not successful, because in my eyes, being president of a school is not something that would be of interest to me. I think it all depends on the individual and their personal definitions.

    ReplyDelete