Saturday, October 10, 2009

Identity and 'Truth or Dare'

After talking to a childhood friend of mine over the internet lately, I couldn't help but think of the fun times I had in my childhood- the schoolyard antics, the hobbies, the places I went, and the games I played. During my reminiscing, I remembered I game I played often with my friends, and realized it's relevance to our focus on identity in this course- Truth or Dare.
When one was asked a 'truth', one's front was, in effect, challenged. If your answer does not meet expectations based on your front, that front has been undermined. The individual asking for the 'truth' serves as a sort of moral watchdog, checking a person's front to see if they are being 'honest'- as honest as a front can be, that is. When an individual rises to the challenge raised by the 'truth', however, this temporary identity of the interrogator is damaged.
'Dares' serve a related, but different effect. The 'dare' is meant to force the individual to undermine their front themselves, or risk alienation from the group for your lack of trust in them. As a result, thought you may undermine one front, you maintain your identity as a member of their group for going along with their fun. In this challenge, the 'darer' is in a similar situation to that of those who ask for 'truths'.
Although it has been years since I've played this game, I've always felt some sort of intuition as to the social purpose of this game. It is only now, with some understanding of sociology, that I can articulate what I've felt.

No comments:

Post a Comment