Sunday, October 11, 2009

Reflection

On Friday, we had another speaker come talk to us. She was very good yet I wish she talked about her topic more than just the last five minutes of class. She gave us a lesson in the definition of macro and microeconomics. Not that it was not interesting but I felt like we missed learning something great. I did however like how she sat down at the table with us. She engaged us and had a conversation instead of just talking at us. I cannot believe were almost done with another book. School has been moving so fast. It’s funny ever since reading Goffman and the idea of identity has come up in everything - in my anthropology class and just in everyday life. It’s funny how I can now see performances and identities playing throughout everyday life. The Dalai Lama came to American on Saturday; sadly I did not get a ticket to see him. I was somewhat upset about it, but I got up at 930 to go the Anthropology conference for extra credit and I was out of Leonard and I saw the Dalai Lama. It was cool, it was one of the wow moments, where I realized that I am in a place where I have the opportunity to see these influential people and I should take advantage of it as much as I can.

2 comments:

  1. I was also sort of disappointed that she only touched on her actual work for a few minutes, but I feel like she genuinely wanted to try to help us by spending the majority of the time asking us if we had any questions for her about college or life in general, so that was nice. She was the most personable speaker that we have had so far in my opinion, and I really hope to take her for one of my econ classes.
    And I totally know what you mean with identity! We have repeatedly talked about the identity of cultures and civilizations in my world politics class lately, and for my college writing final paper, i will have to make an argument about the purpose of and how the community identifies with a landmark/monument in DC. It's so weird..I mean in high school, some teachers planned to have overlapping topics (at least in my high school) whereas here at American there's a good chance that they don't. I was thinking that this couldn't be a coincidence that in three of my five classes I was discussing identity- I feel like it's because as first semester college freshmen, professors realize that there is a good chance we have no clue what we are doing/what we're doing with our lives so they teach identity to try to help us?

    ReplyDelete
  2. See I know what you are saying - she was really nice, really personable but at the same time, and as much as I would have loved for her to talk more about herself, I think she would have been like Humphry's (I think it was her at least) and more just given us lots of advice, (and as I said in my blog, I'm really quite fed up of people just giving me advice)
    and Keara, I love it when my classes overlap, it's so great...I think I also touched on this topic in one of my blog posts. It's so great to know that learning isn't just about English and Math and Science...it's able to cross lines and apply anywhere!!
    With identity - I think even adults struggle to form their identity so I don't think that question will go away for a very long time... time to start finding yourself!! =]

    ReplyDelete