Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Live, Love, Laugh !!!

To quote Miley Cyrus "Life is What You Make It"

Personally - I think this is a little more upbeat than what the authors of Habits of the Heart think of life which brings the phrase "Caught between a rock and a hard place"... not exactly the way I want to live my life. I normally have a pretty pessimistic look on life, but there is a line between realizing that life won't be this utopian place where everything you want to happen does, and just essentially giving up because the present is crap and so is the past.
Okay well what about the future?! Nowhere is this quote to they say anything about the future. Only focusing on the past and, to an extent, the present isn't really the best way to live. Things may look bleak right now, but you can make them better, you just have to try.
It's like what we were saying about colleges in class today - for the most part we would have been happy anywhere as long as we had put effort into making ourselves happy. And it's true, it doesn't matter about what anyone else is doing - it's all on you and you have to accept that and do your best.
You learn from the past and grow: you tunnel through the rock!!!
The authors of this book need a little bit of optimism...you can't live such a cynical life.

I know society today isn't as amazing as it could be - but that doesn't mean we should give up all together and not hope that we can make the future better. We make our destinies "Life is what you make it" so make it as good as it can possibly be!



2 comments:

  1. Though I will confess that I have in fact been to a Miley Cyrus concert (embarrassing I know...don't judge haha), I never thought I'd see the day where I would take something Miley said to heart. I've heard stories of people who get dealt a really crappy hand of cards and are still happy in their life. People need to take responsibility for their own actions. YOUR life is what YOU make it! Atta girl, Miley!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you that life is what one makes out of it. However, I must disagree with focusing on the future. Maybe it's because I'm somebody who lives in the moment and thinks "whatever happens happens, I'll figure a way out". I think focusing too much on the future means a detachment from your life at that present moment and therefore, you're wasting your time thinking about what could happen rather than what you could be doing at that moment (hope this made sense). Anyway, wouldn't it be detrimental for your future if you completely ignore your present?

    ReplyDelete