Saturday, October 3, 2009

Future/Career Crisis AaaAAAaagGGhHHH!!!

Today I went to a craft fair in Adams Morgan, called Crafty Bastards. The tiny Reed Community Park was packed full of the young, the old, the hip, and those are aren't hip but just don't care. The heat of the day did little to deter them from their mission: to buy cute handmade products.
I originally came exclusively to buy the wares of these crafty folks, but I left with more than just a brooch and two barrettes. For the last few weeks, I've been in a bit of a state over what I should major in, what I should do with my life, etc. For a while, a wanted to get a career in art conservation, but now I'm not so sure. Should I take advantage of the international character of AU and become an International Studies major? But I would be a horrible worker in politics!!!! Should I just go through with Art History? But what would I do with that degree?!! I like the radio show; should I study journalism? But I'm horrible with interviews!!!
At the craft fair, the people sitting behind their wares were friendly, enthusiastic, and happy. None were condescending to their customers, how one would expect an 'artiste' to act. One vendor even offered me a discount at her online store of a product that had run out earlier that day!
Although I may not have an idea of what I want to do with my life, the infectious enthusiasm of these craft sellers inspired me to do something that made me smile every day that I did it. Even if it is being a "bastard".

1 comment:

  1. I think you witnessed passion, a state of alignment and harmony with the world through one's work. This overwhelming enthusiasm that sends exhilarating chills down the spine. I believe that once you find whatever makes you feel that way, too, it won't matter whether you can or "can't" do something. At the least, it shouldn't. It is all in your hands; and, don't worry, you will find it, the career that will make you skip like a schoolchild to work. The world is magnificent, the universe abundant, and you deserve the best. :)

    ReplyDelete