Saturday, October 31, 2009

Reflection 10/31

I have spent a little while thinking about what I want to write my reflection about this week. At first I thought I would talk about Halloween and all the strange identities that are wrapped up in it, but honestly I do not feel like discussing the difference in identity between girls who wear skanky Dorothy costumes and those who wear a slutty flapper getup. I also could not really come up with a topic from class that I have been dying to discuss, but for some reason, my mind keeps returning to out college search discussion.

I know I was pretty adamant about my opinion in class, but it still has been something that has been bothering me. I do not understand why everyone was being so negative. American is clearly not Harvard. I am not going to lie and say that I wouldn’t think it was awesome to go to an Ivy League or school that is right below them, but let’s be serious. There was absolutely no way that I would ever have gotten into any of these schools and if for some crazy reason (i.e., my mother worked in the admissions office of Princeton) I did get in, I would probably be incredibly unhappy. I would like to get a good education and do something with my life, which is why I am at American University. I also would like to not be stuck in my room with piles and piles of books and skin that rarely sees the light of day, which, other than the fact that I could never have gotten in, is why I am not at Harvard or another one of those schools. Everyone seems to look at American as a safety school. I looked at American as a school that I would be happy at. It was a school I could reasonably get into in an area I liked. I am not going to say that I have always been one hundred percent sure of my decision. I did spend a lot of time worrying that this was not the school I was meant to be at, but now that I am here I realize there is not just one school. If someone puts the effort into being happy, he or she will be happy. If they don’t, they won’t be. So I think that everyone should stop complaining and start to make an attempt at being happy. By the way, Happy Halloween!

No comments:

Post a Comment