Sunday, October 11, 2009

Reflection

Recently, the idea that I need to start deciding what I want to do with my life has been weighing pretty heavily on my mind. I have never been one of those people who has been able to say I want to be a doctor or a teacher or anything else. One day I think that the only thing that could ever make me happy is to be a famous actress and then the next day I think that being a librarian would be the only thing that would bring me true happiness. I am sure that many of us have been going through similar struggles. With the "real world" just around the corner and knowing the amount of people stuck in careers that they absolutely hate, how can trying to find something that we love not be an issue? For this reason, I find it very interesting to hear from successful adults who have found their true callings in life, or at least pretend to be happy when they talk to us.
This week, I found listening to Mary Hansen very interesting. I liked her idea that we should not limit ourselves to one thing very much, but at the same time, I do not know how helpful applying this philosophy into my personal life would actually be. I am not a very focused person and I have many interests, so I think that if I attempted everything I wanted to, I would just be going around taking random classes and doing random things for the next fifty years. I guess this is probably what I will be doing for a little while, though, hoping that something will stick. If not, I guess I am just going to have to settle for something random and hope that it all works out for the best. If there is one thing that the speakers have kept reiterating it is that we should not worry so much, that everything will work out for the best in the end, so I guess for now, I just have to work on not worrying and hope that this does not lead me into a career in prostitution and a young death.

1 comment:

  1. Regarding your comment how the speakers say not to worry and everything will be fine and dandy, I think this is only because the random career paths that they chose, sometimes differing from what they studied, and everything worked out for them. They were pretty lucky, and I remember one of the speakers even admitted that it was sheer luck that got her to where she was today. While that is wonderful for them that everything worked out for them, it makes me really nervous since I am severely lacking in the luck department.

    ReplyDelete