Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Jay Z started out as an individual

Honestly, I do not really understand the quote from the book. Bellah states that this new form of individualism is not working successfully, but he also says it did not work way back when. If I understand it correctly, he is saying that there is no perfect situation when it comes to being an individual, which is true. Today everyone is following a trend and trying to be like someone else, back in the day people hated and oppressed groups so much, that it crushed any individualism that was there. Ideally there would be a Utopia where everyone can be unique person, but because that does not exist, everyone is pushing to become this special person, when actually they are coping what they saw on the tv. It is a struggle and realistically it will probably never be achieved.
In do today’s society everyone is trying to be like the big singers and rappers. For example Jay – Z who I saw in concert yesterday, is a huge entertainment figure. There were many people dressed like him or donning the Yankee Cap. Everyone is trying to achieve his look and he started out being an individual. It was an amazing show and I want to see him again, but I thought that concert was the perfect example or modern individualism and how it is not working. It really does not exist. In no way do I think I am an individual. I have a unique make up of common characteristics. Honestly, I really think in the future it will just continue to get worse...but who knows.

No comments:

Post a Comment