Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Individualism

Bellah and the other authors of "Habits of the Heart" assert that true individualism is neither "individually nor socially viable", and that the only alternative would be a return to "intolerable discrimination and oppression". In the book, such a loss of individualism is seen as something to dread and mourn.
Although as an American I value individualism highly amongst my ideals, I find complete individualism unattractive. Complete individuality would harm one's ability to interact with others in your society. If one did not share a common tie with others on the planet, one would be unable to relate to those around them. You would be unable to properly communicate with the rest of humanity, thus losing your status as a member of humanity itself. As social creatures, we crave contact and connections with others like us.
A return to a "intolerable discrimination and oppression" not only sounds undesirable, but it sounds like an unlikely remedy. The "individualism" of the past seems more like conformity: while one was encouraged to make decisions for yourself, you were punished or outcast if you chose to disagree.
Though such methods of maintaining conformity still exist today in our laws, cultures, and religions, such restrictions are much looser than they are today. Though I do sometimes find myself feeling nostalgia for an unrealistic golden past, I know deep down that I have more freedom to be myself today.

No comments:

Post a Comment