Saturday, October 17, 2009

Reflection

Having spent the last couple of weeks talking about invisibility, the topic is fresh in my mind. At first, I thought invisibility was a horrible. I thought that I would never want to be invisible, but recently, I have been wondering whether invisibility is such a bad thing. When a person is visible and present, things are expected of him or her. They are supposed to dress well, be well mannered, and most importantly, they are so supposed to be successful. If a person is invisible, none of these things are expected of them. They can do whatever they want. I think that this freedom could actually give people the ability to be truly happy, because instead of focusing on what is expected of them, they could do what they actually wanted to do and most likely, end up being much more fulfilled than a person who is forced to follow the rules of society instead.

Of course, invisibility would not be completely good. Throughout our discussion on invisibility, I have been remembering an episode of Heroes. In this episode, a man who has the ability to be invisible is a central character. Unlike what would ideally happen, this man is incredibly bitter about his invisible and becomes something of a misanthrope. He lives alone, because, of course, invisibility prevents him from having true relationships with any people. I guess this means that although sometimes I think that it would be very, very nice to be able to not be seen by anybody, in reality it would probably be a negative aspect. Like I keep saying in class, friends are important. If a person is all alone, they will never be able to be happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment